Subject: Law No. 7244 which Includes Economic Measures for the COVID-19 Pandemic Has Been Published.
The Law for Reducing the Impacts of the New Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic on Economic and Social Life and Law on Amendments to Certain Laws No. 7244 has been promulgated on the Official Gazette dated 17.04.2020 and numbered 31102.
In this regard, the following amendments are made in the legislation:
1) Termination of any employment contract by the employer is prohibited for 3 months. Accordingly, employers cannot lay off their employees between 17.04.2020-17.07.2020 unless the employee who is whether in the scope of the Law 4857 or not, acts in violation of ethics or goodwill. Employers can partially or completely send the workers to leave without pay for the mentioned period. The President of Turkey is authorized to extend this period to 6 months.
2) Daily 39,24 TRY (1.177,20 TRY monthly) will be paid to workers who were laid off or sent to leave without pay after 15.03.2020 from the unemployment insurance fund. The payments will be subject to 0,759% stamp tax cut only. President of Turkey is authorized to extend this period to 6 months.
3) The Short Term Working Allowance will be initiated upon employer’s application without waiting for the completion of compliance inspection. In case it is understood that incorrect information has been provided by the employer, the paid allowance will be recollected with late payment interest. The allowances will be paid on 5th of each month starting from May.
4) Dividend Distribution Restrictions will be applied until 30.09.2020.
a) Corporations will be allowed to distribute only %25 of their 2019 profits.
b) Previous year gains and legal reserves cannot be subject to distribution.
c) The General Assembly will be unable to grant authority to the Board of Directors for Advance Dividend Distribution.
If the General Assembly has decided to distribute dividends regarding FY 2019, but the shareholders have not yet been paid or have obtained partial payments, payments related to the portion exceeding 25% (twenty five percent) of the annual net profit of the year 2019 shall be postponed until 30/09/2020.
5) Activities carried out in R&D and design centers and Technology Development Zones may be allowed to be carried out outside the region temporarily.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
These materials and the information contained herein are provided by Deloitte Turkey and are-intended to provide general information on a particular subject or subjects and are not on exhaustive treatment of such subject(s).
Accordingly, the information in these materials is not intended to constitute accounting, tax, investment, consulting, or other professional advice or services. The information is not intended to be relied upon as the sole basis for any decision which may affect your personal finances or business, you consult a qualified professional adviser.
These materials and the information contained therein are provided as is, and Deloitte Turkey makes no express or implied representations or warranties regarding these materials or the information contained therein. Without limiting the foregoing, Deloitte Turkey does not warrant that the materials or information contained therein will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality.
Deloitte Turkey expressly disclaims all implied warranties, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, title, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
Your use of these materials and information contained therein is at your own risk, and you assume full responsibility and risk off loss resulting from the use thereof. Deloitte Turkey will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages or any other damages whatsoever, whether in an action of contract, statue, tort (including, without limitation, negligence), or otherwise, relating to the use of these materials or the information contained therein.
© 2020 Deloitte Global Services Limited